1. Cost: The iPad is very similarly priced to the kindle and other e-book readers. But with an iPad, you are getting much more than a device that can read books. You are essentially getting a full laptop replacement rather than a gizmo that can just read books.
2. iBooks: Apple has their own marketplace to purchase and download books. Not to mention the experience of reading a book on the iPad vs on other e-readers will most likely be a much more pleasant experience. On the iPad you will have a more color rich display and the ability to turn the pages with the swipe of your hand rather than the click of a button.
3. Functionality: Sure, an e-reader can replace hundreds of books, but that is all it can do. An iPad can replace hundreds of books and your laptop.
4. Sexiness: It just looks so good! Just compare its aesthetics and eye appeal to any e-reader device.
5. It’s made by Apple: Face it, Apple makes great products. Apple set the standard for portable mp3 players with the iPod and has set the standard for cellphones with the iPhone. I myself have never owned an apple PC, mostly because of the price, but you can not deny what apple is capable of. The iPad will set the standard for mobile computers and may very well set the new standard for mobile computing.